Improve patient care through clinical research and research administration.
This dual degree program allows you to obtain your bachelor’s degree in clinical research administration, and then move into a master’s degree in clinical and translational research at a lower cost and at an accelerated pace so you can make an impact faster.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Accreditation and Rankings
- Fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- #66 Best National University*
- #19 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs*
* U.S. News & World Report‘s 2021 Best Colleges Rankings
- You can take nine graduate credits as part of your undergraduate program, shortening the duration and cost of your master’s degree.
- 100% online courses allow you to work from wherever you need to be.
- Transfer up to 60 credit hours into the dual degree program.
- The George Washington University is an Institutional Member of the Consortium of Academic Programs in Clinical Research (CoAPCR), which ensures a high-quality education.
Curriculum: Learn to Address Ethical and Cultural Health Care Considerations
In coursework for the dual BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research, you’ll study clinical research processes, good clinical practices (GCP), health equity, issues in bioethics, clinical and translational research, research collaboration and team science, and more. This dual degree program is designed for motivated, high-performing students who would like to make a difference in advancing scientific discoveries in the health arena and build their team-based and leadership skills.
As part of the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration, you’ll gain professional experience that counts towards the requirements for the following certifications through the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP):
- CCRA® (Certified Clinical Research Associate)
- CCRC® (Certified Clinical Research Coordinator)
- CPI® (Certified Principal Investigator)
- ACRP-CP® (ACRP Certified Professional)
You will also satisfy one year of the two-year full-time work experience requirement for the Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP®) certification through the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA).View Courses
Why Choose a Dual Degree?
By completing nine credits of graduate coursework as part of the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration, you can then complete your MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research in around four and a half semesters rather than six.
You’ll also save money because the nine credit hours of graduate coursework that are part of the program will be charged at the undergraduate tuition rate instead of the graduate tuition rate.
Program outcomes for the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration:
- Integrate scientific, medical, regulatory, and commercial requirements to create clinical development plan (CDP) sections that provide for benefit and risk assessments in the development of a new investigational product.
- Analyze strategies to address ethical and cultural considerations for effective and compliant clinical trial conduct in national and international settings.
- Compare clinical, regulatory, and business requirements in the planning and conduct of a clinical trial, including data integrity and documentation.
- Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, individually and in group settings, using verbal, written, and electronic modes of communication.
- Explain structural determinants adversely impacting the health of socially disadvantaged groups from diverse perspectives.
Program outcomes for the MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research:
- Integrate evidence-based practice into clinical and translational research.
- Develop translational research proposals in collaboration with professionals from other disciplines.
- Conduct clinical and translational research with a team of scientists, clinicians, and investigators.
When you graduate with your BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research dual degree, you can pursue employment in many clinical research-based positions. You might play a supportive role on a team that designs, manages, evaluates, or conducts clinical trials and studies that investigate the safety and efficacy of drugs, biologics, diagnostic tests, treatments, and devices in human participants. You could also write grant proposals, develop translational research proposals and work with other scientists, clinicians, and investigators on translational research teams.
The average annual salary for a clinical research manager is over $78,000, according to PayScale.4
With this dual degree, you could fill the following roles with these median yearly salaries:
- Clinical Data Coordinator/Manager: $77,1561
- Clinical Research Associate (usually requires previous work experience in clinical research): $67,1752
- Clinical Research Coordinator: $49,7923
- Clinical Research Manager: $78,0314
- Clinical Trial Assistant: $47,7525
To apply for the dual BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research, you’ll need the following:
- Completed application and $80 application fee
- At least 45 credit hours of college-level coursework or an associate degree.
- 3.3 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale for all previous college-level coursework
- Statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation from a previous instructor or employer
If you have an associate degree from a participating D.C., Maryland, or Virginia community college, you may be eligible for guaranteed admission to this program. Review the list of participating institutions or complete this form to speak with an Online Admissions Advisor for more details.See All Requirements
The dual BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research at GW consists of 87 credit hours. Nine credit hours of graduate coursework that are part of the program will be charged at the undergraduate tuition rate instead of the graduate tuition rate. Please find the cost per credit hour and total estimated program costs here.
Note: Tuition rates are subject to change and additional fees may vary by program. Please call at (844) 386-7323 for more information.Get Tuition Details
Meet the Program Directors
GW’s experienced faculty provide you with the rich, practical knowledge and support needed for you to succeed in the program and in your career.
Dr. Thoma is a full-time faculty member in the Department of Clinical Research and Leadership. She has over 20 years of experience in clinical research, health services research, and educational research.
Before coming to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, she was the director of research and a clinical research specialist at the University of Florida Center for HIV/AIDS Research, Education and Service (UF CARES) where she managed many NIH and industry-sponsored clinical trials during her tenure. Her particular expertise involved working with NIH-sponsored trials through the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT) Network and the Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study (PHACS) network.
She has also held positions as research project manager for the Pediatric Research in Office Settings (PROS) Network at the American Academy of Pediatrics, director of educational research at Florida State College at Jacksonville, and research project coordinator at the University of Illinois at Chicago’s College of Medicine/School of Public Health.
She earned a doctorate in Educational Leadership with a cognate in Public Health from the University of North Florida. She is a Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) through the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA) and holds the Certified in Public Health (CPH) credential from the National Board of Public Health Examiners.
In addition to clinical research, her interests include HIV/AIDS, health literacy, health disparities, the psycho-social determinants of health and health behavior, and patient-centered outcomes research.
Samar A. Nasser, PhD, MPH, PA-C has dedicated her career to improving patient care in disparate populations for the past two decades, and is specialized in Hypertension and Vascular Disease. Currently, Dr. Nasser is an Associate Professor in the Department of Clinical Research and Leadership and Section Chief of Translational Research. She is also the Academic Program Director for the PhD in Translational Health Sciences, and Program Director of the Graduate Clinical and Translational Research program and Undergraduate Clinical Health Sciences program.
After earning her Bachelor’s of Science degree in Nutrition, Dr. Nasser completed her Master’s of Science in Physician Assistant (PA) Studies from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. While working full-time as a PA, she advanced her knowledge in clinical research application by earning her Master’s of Public Health in Epidemiology from the University of Michigan. Thereafter, she pursued a doctorate in Physiology from the School of Medicine at Wayne State University as she has a passion to teach others and a deep appreciation for how the human body maintains homeostasis. She loves learning and applying her knowledge on human physiologic functions as they relate to preventative health measures, public health, and the translational research field.
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Data Coordinator/Manager Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Data_Manager/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Research Associate Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Associate_(CRA)/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Research Coordinator Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Coordinator/Salary
- Payscale (2021.) Average Clinical Research Manager Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Manager/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Trial Assistant Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Trial_Assistant/Salary