An Accredited Dual Degree to Help You Impact Health Care
No Campus Visits Required
Top Medical Research School
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
- Earn both degrees sequentially
- Fast track knowledge to apply in your current role
- Military-friendly, Yellow Ribbon school
- Enter with a 3.3 GPA
Solve Health Care Complexities through Data Science
Contribute to the growing field of clinical research and support clinical decision-making and patient engagement with the George Washington University’s Dual Degree: BSHS Clinical Research Administration/MSHS in Biomedical Informatics. Through a convenient online platform, you’ll learn from clinically experienced educators and build the skills necessary to research and ensure the safety and effectiveness of new drugs, devices, diagnostics, and treatment regimens. You’ll also learn to leverage data to facilitate innovation in health care and harness the power of analytics to support clinical decision-making and patient engagement.
This 87-credit/hour dual health science degree serves as a fast track to the career you want. Graduate as a competitively qualified health care professional prepared for success as a health informatics consultant, clinical informatics specialist, health care IT project manager, and more.
Accreditation and Rankings
- Fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- #63 Best National University*
- #14 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs*
- #8 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans*
* The U.S. News & World Report – 2022 Rankings
- You can take nine graduate credits as part of your undergraduate program, shortening the duration and cost of your master’s degree.
- 100% online courses allow you to work from wherever you need to be.
- Transfer up to 60 credit hours into the dual degree program.
Curriculum: Learn to Ensure Quality and Compliant Clinical Research Conduct and Leverage Biomedical Data to Support Clinical Decision-Making
In coursework for the dual BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Biomedical Informatics, you’ll study processes of clinical research, good clinical practices, clinical trial research, health equity, bioethics, medical informatics, biomedical informatics, and biostatistics. Due to its rigor, this dual degree program is designed for motivated, high-performing students. This program is ideal for students that would like to make a difference in advancing scientific discoveries in the health arena and learn how to use data analytics to support clinical research and decision-making.
By completing the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration, you’ll satisfy 1,500 hours of gain professional experience towards the 3,000 professional experience hour requirement that counts towards the requirements for the following certifications through the Association of Clinical Research Professionals (ACRP):
- CCRA® (Certified Clinical Research Associate)
- CCRC® (Certified Clinical Research Coordinator)
- CPI® (Certified Principal Investigator)
- ACRP-CP® (ACRP Certified Professional)
You will also satisfy one year of the two-year full-time work experience requirement for the Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP®) certification through the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA).View Courses
Why Choose a Dual Degree?
By completing nine credits of graduate coursework as part of the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration, you can then complete your MSHS in Biomedical Informatics in around four semesters rather than six semesters.
You’ll also save money because the nine credit hours of graduate coursework that are part of the program will be charged at the undergraduate tuition rate instead of the graduate tuition rate.
Program outcomes for the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration:
- Integrate scientific, medical, regulatory, and commercial requirements to create clinical development plan (CDP) sections that provide for benefit and risk assessments in the development of a new investigational product.
- Analyze strategies to address ethical and cultural considerations for effective and compliant clinical trial conduct in national and international settings.
- Compare clinical, regulatory, and business requirements in the planning and conduct of a clinical trial, including data integrity and documentation.
- Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, individually and in group settings, using verbal, written, and electronic modes of communication.
- Explain structural determinants adversely impacting the health of socially disadvantaged groups from diverse perspectives.
Program outcomes for the MSHS in Biomedical Informatics:
- Integrate programming, data analysis, and data manipulation skills.
- Apply social and behavioral theories to the design and evaluation of biomedical information systems and technology.
- Synthesize data to inform evidence-based patient-centered care in an ethical manner.
- Evaluate informatic analytics to support clinical decision-making, clinical research, and patient engagement.
- Propose data science interventions to improve health care delivery and outcomes.
- Create a vision for the use of information to improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of patient-centered care and public health.
- Design solutions for biomedical information problems through the application of computational and systems thinking, information science, and technology
When you graduate with your BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Biomedical Informatics, you could pursue employment in many positions. You might play a role in conducting and leading clinical studies, designing study protocols, and managing/supporting clinical trials. You could also work in high-performance computing, health care leadership, health care informatics, or clinical informatics.
The average annual salary for a health informatics director is $74,739, according to PayScale.1
With this dual degree, you could fill the following roles with these median yearly salaries:
- Clinical Data Coordinator/Manager: $77,156
- Clinical Informatics Specialist: $77,866
- Clinical Research Associate (usually requires previous work experience in clinical research): $67,175
- Clinical Research Coordinator: $49,792
- Clinical Trial Assistant: $47,752
- Health Information Consultant: $77,500
- Health Informatics Director: $74,739
- Health Care IT Project Manager: $100,239
To apply for the dual BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Biomedical Informatics, you’ll need:
- Completed application and $80 application fee
- At least 45 credit hours of college-level coursework or an associate degree.
- 3.3 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale for all previous college-level coursework
- Statement of purpose
- Two letters of recommendation from a previous instructor or employer
The dual BSHS in Clinical Research Administration / MSHS in Biomedical Informatics at GW consists of 87 credit hours. Nine credit hours of graduate coursework that are part of the program will be charged at the undergraduate tuition rate instead of the graduate tuition rate. Please find the cost per credit hour and total estimated program costs here.
Note: Tuition rates are subject to change and additional fees may vary by program. Please call at (844) 386-7323 for more information.Get Tuition Details
Meet the Program Directors
GW’s experienced faculty provide you with the rich, practical knowledge and support needed for you to succeed in the program and in your career.
Dr. Thoma is a full-time faculty member in the Department of Clinical Research and Leadership. She has over 20 years of experience in clinical research, health services research, and educational research.
Before coming to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, she was the director of research and a clinical research specialist at the University of Florida Center for HIV/AIDS Research, Education and Service (UF CARES) where she managed many NIH and industry-sponsored clinical trials during her tenure. Her particular expertise involved working with NIH-sponsored trials through the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT) Network and the Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study (PHACS) network.
She has also held positions as research project manager for the Pediatric Research in Office Settings (PROS) Network at the American Academy of Pediatrics, director of educational research at Florida State College at Jacksonville, and research project coordinator at the University of Illinois at Chicago’s College of Medicine/School of Public Health.
She earned a doctorate in Educational Leadership with a cognate in Public Health from the University of North Florida. She is a Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) through the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA) and holds the Certified in Public Health (CPH) credential from the National Board of Public Health Examiners.
In addition to clinical research, her interests include HIV/AIDS, health literacy, health disparities, the psycho-social determinants of health and health behavior, and patient-centered outcomes research.
Academic program director of online bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees, and graduate certificate programs in biomedical informatics.
- Payscale (2021). Average Health Information Director Salary. Retrieved May 5, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Health_Information_Director/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Data Coordinator/Manager Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Data_Manager/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Informatics Specialist Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Informatics_Specialist/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Research Associate Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Associate_(CRA)/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Research Coordinator Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Coordinator/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Clinical Trial Assistant Salary. Retrieved May 4, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Trial_Assistant/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Health Information Consultant Salary. Retrieved May 5, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Health_Information_Consultant/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Informatics Nurse Salary. Retrieved May 5, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Informatics_Nurse/Salary
- Payscale (2021). Average Health Care IT Project Manager Salary. Retrieved May 5, 2021, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Health_IT_Project_Manager/Salary