Make a Lasting Impact
With an online Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) in Clinical Research Administration from the George Washington University (GW), you will develop the skills and expertise needed to contribute to the rapidly growing field of clinical research which is involved with conducting research studies to ensure the safety and effectiveness of new drugs, devices, diagnostics and treatment regimens. Build upon the foundations of clinical research concepts, incorporate the principles of bioethics, and more.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Accreditation and Rankings
- Fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- #63 Best National University*
- #14 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs*
- #8 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs for Veterans*
* The U.S. News & World Report – 2022 Rankings
- 100% online, no campus visits required
- 20 total courses are required to complete your degree
- 120 credits in required and elective courses; at least 60 of these credits must be taken at GW
- Graduate in about two years by transferring up to 60 credit hours from a regionally accredited institution
- Learn the framework for implementing and managing clinical trials including phases of drug and device development, human subjects protection, trial management and operations, monitoring, business aspects, and ethical/scientific standards
Students must earn a total of 120 college credit hours to receive the BSHS degree. They may transfer in up to 60 college credit hours from another institution, which are applied towards the general education and advanced standing requirements. Students must earn at least 60 college credit hours at GW to meet the academic residency requirement and fulfill the required courses for the major.View Courses
When you graduate from this program, you’ll hold the skills and knowledge to:
- Manage and implement clinical trials to ensure that potential new therapeutics, devices, and treatments follow regulations and are safe and effective.
- Create elements of a clinical development plan (CDP) incorporating scientific, medical, regulatory, and commercial requirements
- Employ strategies to address ethical and cultural considerations for effective and compliant clinical trial conduct
- Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, individually or in a group setting
Who Is the Ideal Student for This Program?
Our BSHS in Clinical Research Administration degree is designed for individuals that want to work in the clinical trials industry to ensure that potential new therapeutics, devices, and treatments follow regulations and are safe and effective. To succeed in this online program, you should be self-disciplined, self-directed, and able to commit to the duration of the program.
All courses are conducted online in a flexible, asynchronous format, so you can earn your bachelor’s degree while maintaining personal and professional commitments.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in the health care industry are expected to grow by 15% between 2019 and 2029. Clinical research professionals are employed in a variety of locations including pharmaceutical companies, Contract Research Organizations (CROs), government agencies, academic medical centers, hospitals and clinics. Here are the median U.S. salaries for the following positions:
- Clinical Trial Assistant: $46,6691
- Clinical Research Coordinator: $49,2572
- Clinical Research Associate (usually requires previous work experience in clinical research): $65,6493
- Clinical Data Coordinator/Manager: $78,1744
To apply for the BSHS in Clinical Research Administration, you’ll need:
- Completed application
- At least 24 credit hours of college level coursework or an Associate’s degree. Non-traditional credit sources may be considered on a case-by-case basis
- 2.5 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale for all previous college level coursework
- Personal statement that includes reasons for pursuing this degree, any qualifications, accomplishments or honors, and career goals
- One letter of recommendation from a previous instructor or employer
If you have an associate degree from a participating D.C., Maryland, Virginia community college, you may be eligible for guaranteed admission to this program. Review the list of participating institutions or complete this form to speak with an Online Admissions Advisor for more details.See All Requirements
The BSHS in Clinical Research Administration program at GW consists of 60 credit hours. Please find the cost per credit hour and total estimated program costs here.
Note: Tuition rates are subject to change and additional fees may vary by program. Please call at (844) 386-7323 for more information.Get Tuition Details
Meet the Program Director
Kathleen Thoma, EdD, CCRP, CPH
Assistant Professor of Clinical Research and Leadership
Dr. Thoma is a full-time faculty member in the Department of Clinical Research and Leadership. She has over 20 years of experience in clinical research, health services research, and educational research.
Before coming to the George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences, she was the director of research and a clinical research specialist at the University of Florida Center for HIV/AIDS Research, Education and Service (UF CARES) where she managed many NIH and industry-sponsored clinical trials during her tenure.
Her particular expertise involved working with NIH-sponsored trials through the International Maternal Pediatric Adolescent AIDS Clinical Trials (IMPAACT) Network and the Pediatric HIV/AIDS Cohort Study (PHACS) network. She has also held positions as a research project manager for the Pediatric Research in Office Settings (PROS) Network at the American Academy of Pediatrics, the director of educational research at Florida State College at Jacksonville, and a research project coordinator at the University of Illinois at Chicago’s College of Medicine/School of Public Health.
She earned a doctorate in Educational Leadership with a cognate in Public Health from the University of North Florida. She is a Certified Clinical Research Professional (CCRP) through the Society of Clinical Research Associates (SOCRA) and holds the Certified in Public Health (CPH) credential from the National Board of Public Health Examiners. In addition to clinical research, her interests include HIV/AIDS, health literacy, health disparities, the psycho-social determinants of health and health behavior, and patient-centered outcomes research.
- Payscale.com. (2020). Clinical trial assistant. Retrieved October 6, 2020 from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Trial_Assistant/Salary
- Payscale.com. (2020). Clinical research coordinator. Retrieved October 6, 2020 from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Coordinator/Salary
- Payscale.com. (2020). Clinical research associate. Retrieved October 6, 2020 from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Associate_(CRA)/Salary
- Payscale.com. (2020). Clinical data coordinator/manager. Retrieved October 6, 2020 from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Data_Manager/Salary