- 100% online, no visits to campus required
- The program requires 21 total credits and can be finished in one year
- All 21 credits can be transferred into the MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research masters program
Graduate Certificate in Clinical and Translational Research
The George Washington University's online graduate certificate in Clinical and Translational research quickly prepares you for the role of a primary investigator in clinical research on multi-site projects. The online program consists of 21 credit hours and can be completed where and when it is most convenient to you. Plus, all credits earned can be applied toward the online MSHS in Clinical and Translational Research program.
By completing the Clinical and Translational Research Graduate Certificate, you learn to improve patient and community health as you understand how science and clinical research moves from the bench (i.e., lab) to bedside (i.e., patient).
In as little as one year, you will complete 21 credit hours and learn to:
- Compose competitive grant proposals to fund clinical research
- Apply basic, clinical, community health and health services research concepts to improve patient outcomes
- Collaborate with cross-disciplinary teams in diverse research settings
Who is the Ideal Student for this Program?
This graduate certificate in Clinical and Translational Research is ideal if you are looking to broaden your skills and serve as a principal investigator in clinical trials. The certificate also serves as a stepping-stone for those who want to pursue the full graduate degree in Clinical and Translational Research at a later time.
To apply, you must have previously completed graduate-level courses in Biostatistics and Epidemiology with a B or higher to qualify for admission.
Clinical and Translational Research Career Outlook
Graduates can enjoy rewarding careers with employers across a wide range of health care and research organizations, including:
- Academic medical centers and research institutions
- Biomedical organizations
- Biotech companies
- Consumer products companies
- Contract research organizations
- Defense companies
- Diagnostics companies
- Generics companies
- Government agencies like FDA and NIH
- Hospitals, medical centers, and other health care settings
- Medical device companies
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Private research laboratories
To be accepted to this program, you must have:
A bachelor's degree
3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
Previous work experience
Healthcare Experience Preferred
A written personal statement
Please include a 250-500 word essay describing your reasons for undertaking study at the George Washington University, and your academic objectives, career goals, and related qualifications, including collegiate, professional, and community activities, relevant to your program of interest. Include any substantial accomplishments not already mentioned on the application form.
Application Fee: A non-refundable application fee of $80 is required. The application fee is waived for active-duty U.S. military, current GW students, degree-holding GW alumni, current McNair Program Scholars.
2 Letters of Recommendation
Official transcripts from every college and university attended
International Students: Applicants who are not U.S. citizens are also required to submit official test scores for Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or Pearson’s Test of English (PTE) Academics or the academic International English Language Test System (IELTS). The following are the minimum scores for admission consideration: TOEFL: 250 computer-based or 100 Internet-based GW's school code for the TOEFL is 5246. PTE: overall score of 86 IELTS: overall band score of 7.0, with no individual band score below 6.0 International applicants may be considered for admission without submitting the above scores if: You are a citizen of a country where English is the official language, You hold a bachelor’s degree from a country where English is the official language and language of instruction, You hold a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a U.S. regional accrediting agency.
- Application Deadline
- Start Date
- April 5
- May 20
The graduate certificate in Clinical and Translational Research requires successful completion of 21 credit hours including three credit hours of Elective Courses, selected in consultation with the program director, from existing online graduate courses in Medical Laboratory Sciences or Health Sciences.
All 21 credit hours are transferable to the MSHS program for seamless enrollment in the Masters in Clinical and Translational Research.
Students develop the academic skill sets necessary to succeed in this program in the context of exploring scientific, clinical and regulatory concepts required in medicines development. Students demonstrate their critical analysis skills through literature research, analysis of information from various perspectives, and formulating their own opinions in choosing their ‘defendable positions’, rather than stating the “correct answers”.
Analysis and evaluation of study design strategies and current practices for major therapeutic areas of clinical research (e.g., vaccine development, cardiovascular disease, anti-infectives, CNS, etc.).
Overview and analysis of the translational research principles and practice through the application of basic, clinical, community health and health services research concepts.
Writing grant proposals to fund clinical research, with an emphasis on translational research proposals. Emphasis is on persuasive communication, conceptually based hypotheses and research methods and the grant application process, including communicating.
The integration of competencies acquired throughout the program. The development and submission of a transdisciplinary research proposal that responds to a Call for Proposals from an external sponsor, such as the National Institutes of Health.
Approaching health, technology, social, and environmental problems with cross-disciplinary engagement and collaboration. Foundational and practical principles and their impact on collaborative and team science engagements. Restricted to PhD candidates in translational health sciences; permission of the instructor may be substituted.
Per Credit Hour
- Tuition: $1,260
3 Credit Hours
- Tuition: $3,780
What's it like to earn this degree online?
- Study on your schedule
- The flexible anytime, anywhere approach to online learning at GW means that you can study and work on assignments when and where it’s convenient for you. Balance your personal and professional commitments. At GW online, you can advance your career without stopping it.
- Personalized learning
- Many of our online programs have a student-instructor ratio that’s lower than on-campus classes, making it easier to interact with fellow students and get personalized attention from your instructors. Plus, you have access to one-on-one tutoring to help ensure your success.
- The prestige of a GW degree
- Now you can earn a GW degree without relocating your life, giving you access to the distinguished connections and opportunities we provide. When you earn a degree from an online program at GW, you earn a degree from the George Washington University. Entrusted with its rights, privileges, and honors, you’ll join the ever-expanding GW alumni community who make the world a better place.
- Connect to campus from anywhere
- GW is your link to leading authorities in policy and health care in Washington, D.C. You’ll be able to research, collaborate, and discuss with classmates and instructors using online learning management systems. Engage with all the resources GW offers, including tutors, the writing center, career services, and libraries—all online.
- A dedicated advisor from day one
- Each GW online student is assigned an academic advisor who will support your journey to graduation. You’ll get help finding resources, guidance on scheduling classes, answers to your questions, and more. As an online learner at GW, you’re never alone.
- Round-the-clock tech support
- A late-night software malfunction won’t keep you from getting your assignment in on time. GW provides 24/7 technical support for our online students, ensuring you have complete access to what you need, when you need it.