Discover Excellence in Clinical Research Leadership
The George Washington University’s (GW) online Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration will prepare you to be strategic leaders who drive success for their health care and research organizations. The 18-credit-hour graduate certificate will strengthen your career prospects while developing management skills for clinical research administration.
Learn More Today
Complete the form to learn more about this program.
Accreditation and Rankings
- Fully accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- #66 Best National University*
- #19 Best Online Bachelor’s Programs*
* U.S. News & World Report‘s 2021 Best Colleges Rankings
- 100% online, no visits to campus required
- The program requires 18 total credits and can be finished in 18 months
- All credits can be transferred into the MSHS in Clinical Research Administration program
Students in the online Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration (CRA) program must successfully complete 15 credit hours in CRA and a 3-credit-hour elective.
All courses in the clinical research certificate program are transferable to the MSHS, so students can seamlessly matriculate into the Master’s in Clinical Research program.View Courses
Upon completion of the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration program, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate a solid grasp of the clinical, regulatory, and business requirements in the planning and conduct of a clinical trial.
- Integrate research design principles with scientific, medical, regulatory, and commercial requirements by creating clinical development plan sections to provide adequate benefit to risk assessments in the development of a new investigational product.
- Evaluate the importance of assuring data integrity in a clinical trial and in the preparation of various clinical/regulatory documents through professional assignments such as quality checking a clinical study report.
- Formulate strategies to address ethical and cultural considerations for effective and compliant domestic or international clinical trial conduct in relation to key areas such as human subjects protection, subject recruitment/retention, data integrity, and risk assessment.
Who Is the Ideal Student for This Program?
The online Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration program is ideal for working clinical research professionals, or those in a related field, who wish to increase their knowledge of drug development, clinical trial conduct, monitoring, and the business, ethical, and legal perspectives of the clinical research industry.
Designed to answer the growing need for clinical research jobs and focusing on strategic leadership in the real-world, the online Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration will prepare you for some of the highest-level positions within clinical research organizations.
Clinical research director positions have an average annual earning potential of $109,3691, and clinical data manager positions have the average annual earning potential of $77,4812. These are just a few of the high-paying and in-demand careers in clinical research that you can pursue with a master’s in clinical research administration.
Graduates are prepared to lead health care organizations in the following roles:
- Clinical Operations Manager/Director
- Clinical Project Manager/Director
- Clinical Research Manager/Director
- Clinical Study Manager/Director
- Clinical Trial Manager/Director
- Drug Safety Manager/Director
- Institutional Review Board (IRB) Member
To apply for the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration, you’ll need:
- Completed application
- 3.0 GPA or above on a 4.0 scale
- Bachelor’s degree
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
The Graduate Certificate in Clinical Research Administration at GW consists of 18 credit hours. Please find the cost per credit hour and total estimated program costs here.
Note: Tuition rates are subject to change and additional fees may vary by program. Please call at (844) 386-7323 for more information.Get Tuition Details
Meet the Program Director
Joan Butler, EdD
Dr. Joan Butler has over 25 years’ experience in drug development and has held executive, project management, regulatory, and clinical research positions within the pharmaceutical industry. Dr. Butler was chosen as the industry project manager representative loaned to FDA’s Office of the Commissioner to aid the implementation of the “team-based managed review process” within the Centers for Drugs and Biologics for PDUFA implementation for which she received special recognition.
Dr. Butler has taught at the George Washington University since 2008. During this time, she continues to serve as the director for Clinical Research Administration programs. Dr. Butler has taught several courses within the graduate Clinical Research Administration program, and has focused on evaluating and updating the curricula in both the undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Payscale (2020 February 1). Average Clinical Research Director Salary. Retrieved February 14, 2020, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Research_Director/Salary.
- Payscale (2020 February 2). Average Clinical Data Manager Salary. Retrieved February 14, 2020, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Data_Manager/Salary.